I’m all about doing projects on a budget. I think there’s way too many overpriced options out there that we can create for much cheaper. And I think when you have parameters like a budget, you are forced to be more creative. It’s easy to go out and spend a lot of money to buy something fancy or cool. But try to find or create something just as amazing for a lot less money – now that’s impressive.
This was a super cheap DIY project – it actually cost zero dollars. zero. And it’s cool. It was pretty fun and easy to make too. A vase made from a recycled glass food jar and found twigs. It’s a great way to showcase your flowers – or you can make a few as centerpieces for a wedding shower or rustic themed party.
So what are you waiting for? Go for a little walk in the woods, gather up some twigs then plug your glue gun in.
Here’s the how to on this rustic twig vase.
1. Collect glass food jars and clean throughly. Remove any labels.
2. Go for a walk and collect twigs that are at least 1″ taller than your jar. Mine are around 1/2″ thick. One tip: find twigs that are as straight as you can, and I wanted mine to not have any bark on them. I thought they looked more beachy.
3. Trim the twigs so that they are about 1″ taller than your jar. This was the most time consuming part. I used a utility knife to score the twigs then broke them where the score was. Be careful with the utility knife!
4. Sand the twigs to remove any debris. I didn’t go crazy with the sanding because I wanted to keep the rustic look of the twigs. I even left one of the branch stems on and I love the way that looks!
5. Using your hot glue gun, glue the twigs onto the glass jar as they fit best. I had good luck with the glue gun but some people say not to use hot glue on glass because it can peel off easily. I also tried modge podge glue and that worked well too.
6. Continue with the twigs until the entire jar is covered.
7. Fill with your favorite flowers – or whatever you want – and enjoy!
I plan on using my vase all summer for all my flower clippings. Peonies, hydrangeas… these flowers are the perfect compliment to this rustic vase. Did I mention it cost zero dollars? Love that. Enjoy!
What a great idea. I am gonna put this vase om my to do list!
thanks so much!!
This is really cute. I am going to make a few for my patio. Thanks for sharing. I am stopping over from the Party in your PJ’s link party.
Thank you!! And thanks for stopping by!
Hi, Lori ~ I’m visiting from the Party in Your PJs Link Party. I love this project! I also love finding inexpensive ways to create the hottest new decor items. This vase is so cute, and I’m all about bringing nature inside. Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to make one of these for my peonies (hopefully they bloom soon).
Hi Tiffany – thanks so much! I’m with ya on the inexpensive projects! Good luck with your peonies – they’re my fav!
Theresa @DearCreatives says
Love your project! Pinned & sharing on my FB page. Thanks for joining the Inspiration party @DearCreatives
Thanks so much Theresa! You made my day!!
Wow, I love this! Natural looking/ nature inspired things are my favorite so this is right up my alley 😀
thanks for stopping by! I am really into nature inspired projects too. No need for a trip to the store!
Love the contrast with the rustic vase and gorgeous flowers. Also love free projects!! Thanks for sharing at The Creative Circle.
Thanks, Kathy!! I love free projects too… and thanks for all the awesome link parties and your creative projects!