The other day I looked down at my car console and I saw five lip glosses. And if you look in my pocketbook, there’s three more. And one by my kitchen sink and another one on my bedside table. And most of my jackets usually have one in the pockets. I’m not really a lipstick girl, but I love lip glosses. I counted eleven lip glosses and none of them are the same.
Why am I sharing this? Because not only do I find it a little funny – and odd – that someone would have eleven different lip glosses – I also realized that it’s a perfect metaphor for my life. And after a little reflection, I felt a little better about my lip gloss collection – and my life choices.
I’m a graphic designer and have been fortunate to have worked in a small ad agency in Boston for over 10 years and then started my own business freelancing for the past 18 years. I love what I do. But I also love home design, decorating, painting, wood working, refinishing furniture, and even have the hopes of owning my own design store… Do you see where I’m going with this?
All these interests are like all my different lip glosses. I love them all and each serves a different purpose. It may make me a little scattered at times but I think having all these different interests (and lip glosses) is what works for me and makes me happy. I don’t think I’m meant to do one thing. And that’s been such a relief for me to realize. I’ve been struggling a bit to figure out my path. Even though I’ve been working as a graphic designer for almost 30 years, I also want to pursue my other interests. That’s really the reason I started this blog – to explore different design and creative outlets. And also as another way to connect with people. But many have told me that I need to narrow down my options. Maybe one day I will. But for now, I’m keeping every one of these lip glosses.
So I hope you’ll keep following me and all my outlets. I’m especially loving home design and have been working on some great projects lately. It’s challenging and exciting to make a space come alive and represent the people living there. I hope to share some of that work soon.
I also really enjoy making my wood signs. There’s something about taking a boring piece of wood and turning it into a meaningful piece of art. I get dirty, and there’s often paint on my clothes and hands, but it’s so fun and rewarding. Most of the signs are custom-made too so they each have their own, unique story.
And my watercolor calendars. This is one of the most rewarding projects I do each year. And the response I get is overwhelming. I love painting. I may not be the best at it, but I have definitely improved and it’s been somewhat therapeutic.
As for all my lip glosses, I love them for different reasons too. And each has their purpose. So here’s a little review of each in case you’re interested. Click on the links to purchase or get more “official” details. They all really are lovely.
1. Burt’s Bees Moisturizing Lip Balm – No color but the flavors are awesome. And they’re 100% natural. I use them pretty much anytime and all the time. One is always kept in my car console.
2. Smith’s Rosebud Salve Balm – It comes in a squeeze tube and sometimes I just want the squeeze tube versus the sticks. Go figure? I absolutely love the scent too.
3. NYX Butter Gloss – When my 14 year old daughter recommended this one to me, I was thrilled that she didn’t consider me too old to use her products. The color I have is called creme brûlée and it’s good for a night out, but still pretty neutral. And it’s under $3.
4. Benefit Punch Pop – It’s not my favorite but I don’t have the heart to throw it away either. Maybe just because it’s a Benefit product. Plus it’s a good option for a night out.
5. Nivea Care & Color in Sheer Coral – This definitely adds a beautiful tint of color but still pretty subtle. I find it very creamy and it stays on really well.
6. City Lips – This was an online splurge. It claims to give both an immediate and long-term solution for lips. I don’t love plumping products but this one is good. And not too tingly. Is that a word? I do wish my lips were plumper. But this helps. I have the clear but it comes in colors too.
7. Nivea’s Lip Care – These are a little more sheer and lighter than #5. I have one in peach and one in blackberry. The peach has a faint tint and the blackberry is much more bold. But they still have the transparent lip gloss look and the scents are yummy. Peach is my go-to.
8. Maybelline Baby Lips – It is the smoothest lip gloss I own. And it really does restore dry lips. I don’t always love this flavor but you can’t beat the moisturization. It also has SPF 20.
9. Softlips Pearl – I just found this one in an old jacket pocket and it made me smile. Tinted lip conditioner and sunscreen, it adds the palest pink shimmer and shine. It smells like berry, but also minty and a bit therapeutic. The color is a little on the frosty side.
What do you think? Am I crazy? Don’t answer that. Just tell me you have multiple (or eleven) lip glosses too.