July 4th will be here soon and these patriotic wind catchers are a fun and easy craft that can also be used as party decorations. It’s also a great summer project to do with the kids. These wind catchers look so fun when they’re blowing in the wind.
Here are the materials you’ll need:
- cardboard toilet paper roll
- blue paper
- 3/4″ red and white ribbon (about 3 yards of each)
- white or silver star stickers
- glue or spray mount
- 1/8″ hole punch
- clear fishing line or ribbon for hanging
1. Cut the blue paper so that it wraps around the cardboard roll and glue it to the cardboard.
2. Cut 6 strips of each color of ribbon (red and white) to 18″ long. Set aside.
3. Using your hole punch, make 12 holes around the bottom edge of the roll trying to space them as evenly as you can.
4. Tie the ribbons through the holes, threading them through from the outside. Tie a knot in the end of the ribbons on the inside of the roll and let them hang down.
5. Continue to tie the ribbons, alternating red and white.
6. When done, attach the star stickers to the blue paper. I got these stickers at Staples in the teachers section – they have a silver shine to them and I think that makes them even better than plain white. My daughter put the stickers on and without realizing it she put 50 on – she thought it was so cool that this amount of stars was the same as on a real flag!
7. Punch two small holes opposite each other at the top of the wind catcher, thread fishing line or ribbon through it for hanging and tie.
8. Hang in an area where they can blow nicely in the wind.
I love grouping a few of them together – so fun! You can hang them on fence posts, tree branches or plant hooks.
I hope you enjoy this fun craft that anyone can do. I’ll be sharing some more patriotic decorations and party ideas soon!
I'd love to hear your comments!